Re: [patch v3] splice: fix race with page invalidation

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 18:00:32 EST

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> You are being unfair: after having talked it over with Nick I
> resubmitted this patch (not the same), which was added to -mm and
> nobody complained then. Then it got thrown out of -mm during the merge
> window because of a conflict, and then now I got around to
> resubmitting it again.

Ok, fair enough. I don't follow -mm myself (since as far as I'm concerned,
a lot of the point of -mm is that Andrew takes a lot of load off me). So
yes, it was unfair and yes, I'd never have reacted to it in -mm.

But I'd really like to get that PG_uptodate bit just fixed - both wrt
writeout errors and wrt truncate/holepunch. We had some similar issues wrt
ext3 (?) inode buffers, where removing the uptodate bit actually ended up
being a mistake.

Linus