Re: What to do about the 2TB limit on HDIO_GETGEO ?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 19:08:20 EST

How does this have anything to do with boot times? Do you really have a
foolish shell script that iteratorates over every single disk in the
sysfs tree for every disk? What does it do that for?

Any time you want to get the sysfs information for a filesystem which is already mounted, that's what you're forced to do.

I thought we were talking about 2TB disks here, with a proposed new
ioctl, not foolishness of boot scripts...

I pointed out that having a way to map device numbers to sysfs directories would have the same effect, *and* would be usable for other purposes. I'd rather see that than a new ioctl, and another, and another...

ioctl()s are also nasty since they're generally root-only (or rather, device-owner only). Since the information is already in sysfs, there is no benefit to this hiding. Otherwise one could consider a ioctl() "give me the sysfs name of this device."

-hpa