Re: [patch 3/3, resend] kbuild: correctly skip tilded backups inlocalversion files

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 10:51:58 EST

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Oleg Verych wrote:

> I mean, all by-hand modifications must be in the $(srctree) (let's get
> this term), $(objtree) is output *only*.

No. Especially for things like localversion, the object tree (if it is
different) is very much where you'd put that marker.

You might have several object trees for the same source tree, with
different configurations. Exactly to remember which one is which, you'd
have a "localversion" file in each object tree.

> I know it maybe another my "change it all" proposition, but i can't find
> nothing against `GNU $(wildcard ..)' and `unnecessarily complex "find"'.

It's the regexp in both cases. $(wildcard ) doesn't do regexp's (only the
normal path rules), and traditional 'find' doesn't either. The fact that
GNU find does is another matter. I don't think we require GNU find
normally.

And I don't even much like the "backup" thing. Some programs will use
other things than "~" as a backup marker. Patch more often uses ".orig",
for example. So both methods are fairly complex, but at the same time not
quite complex enough.

It would probably have been a better idea had we made the rule be that the
file is called "*localversion" rather than "localversion*", exactly
because that way it's unambiguous (people normally use _suffixes_ for
filetypes, not prefixes). That would have avoided the whole complexity in
wildcarding, but it's too late now..

$(sort $(wildcard $(srctree)/*localversion $(objtree)/*localversion)

should have worked.

Linus