Re: 2.6.13.4 After increasing RAM, I'm getting Bad page state at prep_new_page

From: Steve Youngs
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 16:23:55 EST

* Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Steve Youngs wrote:
>>
>> RAM. But I've run memtest86 (version 3.2) over the RAM and no errors
>> were found.

> Steve,

> this is almost certainly a hardware problem. I'm not saying that the
> RAM is actually defective, it could be that the motherboard doesn't
> reliably support that much memory, or even a weak powersupply.

> I prefer to use memtest86+ for recent hardware, but I'm sure
> memtest86 can find errors if you give it long enough (on a 1.8GHz
> athlon64 with a mere 2GB of memory, several hours were needed -
> the memory was good, but the mobo couldn't drive that much at
> full speed).

I gave memtest86+ a shot, and after about 18 hours it came up with...

Test: 8
Pass: 7
Failing Address: 00008072bf0 - 128.1MB
Good: 00000000
Bad: 00000100
Err-Bits: 00000100
Count: 1

> 3GB sounds an awful lot for an athlon - 2x1GB and 2x512MB, I suppose.

3x1GB

> Of course, if it's a PSU problem related to excessive power to memory +
> disk(s) + graphics card, memtest86 is unlikely to trigger it.

And to track _that_ down I'll have to play "mix'n'match" with the
hardware. Something that I can't do right now (financially, and,
time). :-(

Sounds like I'm just going to have to put up with it for the time
being.

Thanks anyway, Ken.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|