Re: 2.6.13.4 After increasing RAM, I'm getting Bad page state atprep_new_page

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 11:54:38 EST

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Steve Youngs wrote:

It's not restricted to any one process, I've seen it in a number of
different processes: Mozilla, sendmail, postmaster (pgsql). Of
course, the first thing I thought of was that I'd been sold some dodgy
RAM. But I've run memtest86 (version 3.2) over the RAM and no errors
were found.

Steve,

this is almost certainly a hardware problem. I'm not saying that the RAM is actually defective, it could be that the motherboard doesn't reliably support that much memory, or even a weak powersupply.

I prefer to use memtest86+ for recent hardware, but I'm sure memtest86 can find errors if you give it long enough (on a 1.8GHz athlon64 with a mere 2GB of memory, several hours were needed - the memory was good, but the mobo couldn't drive that much at full speed). I think some of the tests in memtest86 are marked as 'optional', you really want to run all of the tests if in doubt, and probably overnight.

3GB sounds an awful lot for an athlon - 2x1GB and 2x512MB, I suppose. I would not be surprised to hear that a consumer-grade mobo has difficulties. Bitter experience has taught me that it isn't a good idea to fill a mobo with more memory than was reasonably envisaged when it was designed - sure, the manual probably says it can take it, but linux works it hard. Remember that the windows world thought 1GB was a lot of memory until recently.

Of course, if it's a PSU problem related to excessive power to memory + disk(s) + graphics card, memtest86 is unlikely to trigger it.

Ken