Re: 2.6.13.4 After increasing RAM, I'm getting Bad page state atprep_new_page

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 16:44:36 EST

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Steve Youngs wrote:

I gave memtest86+ a shot, and after about 18 hours it came up with...

Test: 8
Pass: 7
Failing Address: 00008072bf0 - 128.1MB
Good: 00000000
Bad: 00000100
Err-Bits: 00000100
Count: 1

> 3GB sounds an awful lot for an athlon - 2x1GB and 2x512MB, I suppose.

3x1GB

At least the problem showed up, so the load on the power supply is not a prime concern.

If you have the patience, first take out one of the 'good' sticks and repeat with 2x1GB. If that works, it's probable the mobo can't drive 3x1GB, at least with the chip arrangement on those particular sticks. OTOH, if it still fails at that address, perhaps that one stick is suspect - in that case try swapping it and retesting.

Of course, if your manual is unclear about which slot maps where, you might have to try permutations of 2 sticks on this approach. And that's before messing with obscure and poorly-explained bios options to control the memory timing and drive. Good Luck!

Ken