Re: Re[2]: ata over ethernet question

From: Raf D'Halleweyn
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 09:43:34 EST

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 23:17 +0200, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 9:48:36 PM, you wrote:
> > That seems to be the basic idea but there doesn't seem to be a provider
> > stack just yet, just a 'client' (though I could be wrong). AOE is
> > similar in concept to iSCSI with the biggest difference being that AOE
> > runs over Ethernet and is thus non-routeable. iSCSI operates over IP so
> > you can do all kinds of fun IP games with it.

The aoetools project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/aoetools/
includes the package vblade:

"This is a beta release of vblade, the virtual EtherDrive (R) blade.
The vblade is a program that makes a seekable file available over an
ethernet local area network (LAN) via the ATA over Ethernet (AoE)
protocol."

PS. This month's Linux Journal has an article about AoE.

Raf.