RE: clock drift with two Promise Ultra133 TX2 (PDC 20269) cards

From: Drew Winstel
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 09:46:59 EST

> Are interrupts errors serious? Can anyone tell? The error count was higher
> when I had a fifth PCI card in the computer (natsemi ethernet NIC).
> Could there be some kind of PCI card conflict? Maybe I should try to
> remove a few of them...

It's worth a shot. Just for the record, I haven't had any such errors on my
machine.
root@linux /proc # cat interrupts
CPU0
0: 46494411 XT-PIC timer
1: 13644 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 1210194 XT-PIC ohci_hcd, SiS SI7012
7: 19 XT-PIC parport0
9: 3492898 XT-PIC acpi, ohci_hcd, nvidia
10: 0 XT-PIC ohci_hcd
11: 29194 XT-PIC ehci_hcd, eth0
12: 295381 XT-PIC i8042
14: 567754 XT-PIC ide0
15: 48 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 0
root@linux /proc # uptime

> In other words, Athlon/Duron/K7 + HPET + Local APIC + IO-Apic
> (though I have tried with both XT-PIC and Local APIC, with same
> drift).

So much for that thought. The kernel config is solid (as expected).

> And no, the clock drift occurs no matter if ntpd is running or not.
> It's having a very hard time to syncronize with the remote servers,
> because the clock drift is too high. (It also says somewhere in the
> NTP documentation that it doesn't handle too high clock drift.)

I just had an idea. Using the old PDC20269 IDE driver, try repeating
your test to trigger clock drift. While the test is in progress, run
hdparm (no need for -i) on both drives. I wonder if it's dropping out
of DMA mode temporarily for no apparent reason.

Thanks,
Drew