Re: Random number generator in Linux kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 16:53:31 EST

Vineet Joglekar wrote:
Hi all,

Can someone please tell me where can I find and which
random/pseudo-random number generator can I use inside the linux
kernel? (2.4.28)

I found out 1 function get_random_bytes() in
linux/drivers/char/random.c but thats not what I want.

I want a function where I will be supplying a seed to that function
as an input, and will get a random number back. If same seed is used,
same number should be generated again.

Without knowing what you're doing I can't say if it justifies having all that extra code around, but the stuff from the library, like srand48, will do this. You can add the code to your module.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)