Re: Call for help: list of machines with working S3

From: Lukas Hejtmanek
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 20:26:52 EST

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 12:22:57AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > does anyone have some experiences with intel i855 video card and S3?
> >
> > For me the binary driver from Intel works with S3 but only X server is restored
> > not the text console.
> >
> > With open source driver nothing is restored. I try to use s3_bios or s3_mode,
> > nothing helps. Using vbetool and post causes backlight turn on but display is
> > full of garbage (vertical lines of different colors).
>
> Can you do vga=normal and attempt to reload fonts?

Did not help. Instead, this seems to be working with X.org and opensource driver:

chvt 1
vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/state
echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
vbetool post
vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/state
chvt 7

(if X server is running then chvt to text console is necessary, but it works
including DRI and XV overlay running)

Can I get the current console so that chvt 7 can switch to the original console?

Just re-POST seems to initialize first head connected to external CRT. The
second head (connected to LFP) is not initialized. Do not know why :(

This is the videocard: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device.
Notebook: Acer TM 242FX

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek