Getting errors in compilation of Hello World!

From: Deepti Patel
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 09:37:34 EST

Hi all,
I am new to Linux. I am tring to load a module in kernel of 'Fedora core2'.
I wrote a simple Hello world program and tring to compile it with Makefile. I tried 3 differnt types of make file but still it is giving me error. I will really appritiate any help.

Here is my Hello world program:

#include <linux/init.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>

static int hello_init(void)
{
printk(KERN_ALERT "Hello, world\n");
return 0;
}

static void hello_exit(void)
{
printk(KERN_ALERT "Goodbye, cruel world\n");
}

module_init(hello_init);
module_exit(hello_exit);

Here is the Makefile:

ifneq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)
obj-m:= hello.o

else
KDIR:= /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD:= $(shell pwd)

default:
$(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules
endif

Problem here is once I type the command "make" at the shell prompt it gives the following message :

$ make: Nothing to be done for 'default'