Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Robert Wisniewski
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 18:07:33 EST

n <m1zmzcpfca.fsf@xxxxxx>
<m17jmg2tm8.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<20050114103836.GA71397@xxxxxx>
<41E7A7A6.3060502@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<Pine.LNX.4.61.0501141626310.6118@xxxxxxxxxx>
<41E8358A.4030908@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<Pine.LNX.4.61.0501150101010.30794@xxxxxxxxxx>
<41E899AC.3070705@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<Pine.LNX.4.61.0501160245180.30794@xxxxxxxxxx>
<41EA0307.6020807@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<Pine.LNX.4.61.0501161648310.30794@xxxxxxxxxx>
<41EADA11.70403@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<1105925842.13265.364.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<41EB21C2.3020608@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<1105964417.13265.406.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<41EC20FB.9030506@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<1106001113.13265.474.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Robert Wisniewski <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Bcc: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,rosnbrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas Gleixner writes:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:32 -0500, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> > You're either on crack or I don't know how to read english. Here's what
> > you said:
>
> Maybe you should read your own comment about ad-hominem attacks earlier
> in this thread and consider if it might apply to you.
>
> I know, what I have said. I said reduce the filtering to the absolute
> minimum and do the rest in userspace.
>
> The now builtin filters are defined to fit somebodys needs or idea of
> what the user should / wants to see. They will not fit everybodys
> needs / ideas. So we start modifying, adding and #ifdefing kernel
> filters, which is a scary vision.
>
> Enabling and disabling events is a valid basic filter request, which
> should live in the kernel. Anything else should go into userspace, IMO.
>
> tglx

I believe (and Karim can correct me if I'm wrong) the idea is to have
groups of events that can be disabled and enabled via a one word mask. No
checking multiple variables, no #ifdefing, something very streamlined. By
userspace I assume you mean post-processing, i.e., if the user/library/etc
needs to log events they use the same simple facility.

I think we agree to optimize/streamline performance for the gathering and
do work in the post processing. There is an outstanding patch that makes
strides in this direction.

-bob

Robert Wisniewski
The K42 MP OS Project