Re: kbuild: Implicit dependence on the C compiler

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 18:11:51 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:03:41PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

I don't mind the current default, but saying I shouldn't be able to override it is asinine.

No-one asked for it until now.

That's of course perfectly fair, and I'm not flaming you for saying that noone had asked for it. Saying that it *shouldn't* be done is another matter, that's all.

Any preferred syntax to disable this dependency check?

How about "make CCDEP=0"?

It also means "make install" is largely unusable.

Maybe we should not let install be dependent on vmlinux then?

Maybe not. I don't think "modules_install" have any explicit dependencies, it's up to the user to make sure things are already built, so we might as well do the same thing with "make install".

-hpa