Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 18:49:00 EST

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 17:42 -0500, Robert Wisniewski wrote:

> I believe (and Karim can correct me if I'm wrong) the idea is to have
> groups of events that can be disabled and enabled via a one word mask. No
> checking multiple variables, no #ifdefing, something very streamlined. By
> userspace I assume you mean post-processing, i.e., if the user/library/etc
> needs to log events they use the same simple facility.

Yes, I was talking about postprocessing in userspace.

The logging of userspace events is a complete seperate issue. You have
to solve the timestamp problem and do the correlation to kernel events
in the postprocessing.

> I think we agree to optimize/streamline performance for the gathering and
> do work in the post processing. There is an outstanding patch that makes
> strides in this direction.

Ack.

Have you any plans to seperate the layers into different pieces, so they
provide better reusability ?

tglx