I would like to see ReiserFS V3 enter a feature freeze real soon.

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 11:47:55 EST

While I like and appreciate the data journaling stuff, and I think it should go in, real soon now I think we should avoid adding new features to V3. Let the mission critical server folks have a reiserfs version that only gets bug fixes added to it, and let V4 be for those who want excitement.

Are there any things which Chris and Jeff think should go in besides data journaling/ordering and bitmap algorithm changes?

Also, I would like to see some serious benchmarks of the bitmap algorithm changes before they go in. They seem nice in theory, and some users liked them for their uses, but that does not make a serious scientific study. Such a study has a high chance of making them even better.;-)

zam, I view you as the block allocator maintainer, please review that bitmap code from Chris.

Chris and Jeff, can you propose a benchmarking plan for the bitmap code?

Hans