Re: Linux 2.6.7-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 11:54:49 EST

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> This would be required because of the -Wno-strict-aliasing
> option. For the 2.7.xx kernels, how about we start off by
> replacing -Wno-strict-aliasing with -std=gnu99 ? It's been
> 5 years since 1999. The "restrict" keyword is useful too.

No can do.

Aliasing in gcc is so broken (_purely_ type-based and no way to avoid it
sanely in older versions) that it's not going to happen.

When we can depend on everybody having gcc-3.3+ something, and that one
properly supports the "may_alias" attribute, we may change that.

"restrict" is pretty much useless. It just weakens the already too-weak
alias rules of standard gcc.

Linus