Re: Random file I/O regressions in 2.6 [patch+results]

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 20:04:09 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Fri, May 21 2004, Nick Piggin wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

Open questions are:

a) Why is 2.6 write coalescing so superior to 2.4?

b) Why is 2.6 issuing more read requests, for less data?

c) Why is Alexey seeing dissimilar results?

Interesting. I am not too familiar with 2.4's IO scheduler,
but 2.6's have pretty comprehensive merging systems. Could
that be helping, Jens? Or is 2.4 pretty equivalent?

2.4 will give up merging faster than 2.6, elevator_linus will stop
looking for a merge point if the sequence drops to zero. 2.6 will always
merge. So that could explain the fewer writes.

Yep OK, that could be one thing.

What about things like maximum request size for 2.4 vs 2.6
for example? This is another thing that can have an impact,
especially for writes.

I think that's pretty similar. Andrew didn't say what device he was
testing on, but 2.4 ide defaults to max 64k where 2.6 defaults to 128k.

This could be another. If Andrew's using IDE, this alone could
make up the entire difference *if* writes are nicely sequential.
I guess they probably aren't, but it could still help.