Re: [OT] Linux stability despite unstable hardware

From: Rob Couto
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 20:04:09 EST

On Friday 21 May 2004 05:57 pm, you wrote:

> So, what is it about Linux that makes it build properly with a broken GCC
> and run perfectly despite memory errors?

probably just the sources... i built a bunch of gentoo on a flaky machine, and
ran into trouble with mozilla. it was mozilla 1.6 that demostrated the
problems and prevented me from continuing to build gnome. i ended up
rebuilding the whole thing on a speedy box over a weekend, for a far weaker
architecture that wasn't flaky (despite 4 or 5 brutal soldering adventures on
the motherboard!!!)

--
Rob Couto [rpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
computer safety tip: use only a non-conducting, static-free hammer.