Re: [OOPS/HACK] atmel_cs and the latest changes in sysfs/symlink.c

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 08:11:57 EST

Hi Dmitry,

> This is wrong... What if you have several devices that are needed firmware?
> You are not only loading a specific firmware but do it for a specific device.
> You may also want to do something else with it...
>
> I think until pcmcia either provides or allows to create devices on pcmcia
> bus you can just fixup the name breakage like I did for atmel driver and
> leave it be. The device is not registered and not used in any way except to
> provide "unique" name for fimrware loader, at list in atmel_cs that is the
> case.

as you said the only real goal of the device in request_firmware() is to
provide us with a unique path to the "loading" and "data" files. The
advantage of having the device linked is currently not used by the
firmware.agent script and I don't think that it ever will be used.
However you can take a look at 2.4, where the device parameter is only a
string. So what is wrong with letting request_firmware() create a dummy
and temporary device that is not related to any hardware?

Regards

Marcel