Re: PROBLEM: memory managment bug in kernel >= 2.4.23

From: Daniel Egger
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 08:15:13 EST

On 26.04.2004, at 14:34, Pierre Berthier wrote:

a bug report concerning memory managment (?). I did not subscribe to the list,
please CC me.

every two minutes a "__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x21/0)"
message.

Interesting. I had been seeing the same until yesterday where I updated to
2.4.26. I explicitely tried reproducing it in order to compose a usable
problem report on the l-k mailinglist but couldn't.

The problem on my machine was that I could trigger some memory leak by
rsync'ing between two local IDE disks which would eventually eat up all
of the systems memory without the possibility of recovery forcing all
other processes into swap or having them killed.

Servus,
Daniel