Re: [OOPS/HACK] atmel_cs and the latest changes in sysfs/symlink.c

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 07:34:14 EST

On Monday 26 April 2004 05:35 am, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> > Look, Dominik has done a fair amount of work in this area. There is
> > a set of patches which need to be worked through and merged in a
> > controlled manner to get to the point where we can have a struct
> > device for PCMCIA cards. We'll get there eventually. Please don't
> > try to bypass this process - it won't work, and it'll only cause
> > unnecessary merge problems with the existing patch sets.
>
> right now we have two broken drivers. They are only broken, because we
> need a device for loading the firmware. If the PCMCIA driver model
> integrations is not yet ready, we should find a way to make the firmware
> any other task. Actually I don't know how to achieve it, but I think if
> we give a NULL pointer to the request_firmware() call the firmware_class
> should create a dummy device.

Hi Marcel,

This is wrong... What if you have several devices that are needed firmware?
You are not only loading a specific firmware but do it for a specific device.
You may also want to do something else with it...

I think until pcmcia either provides or allows to create devices on pcmcia
bus you can just fixup the name breakage like I did for atmel driver and
leave it be. The device is not registered and not used in any way except to
provide "unique" name for fimrware loader, at list in atmel_cs that is the
case.

--
Dmitry