Re: panic when adding root=/LABEL=/ in grub.conf - newbie

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 09:11:05 EST

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 15:37, sting sting wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with kenel 2.4.20 on Intel x86.
> Now I Had downloaded a kernel source to a different folder and build it.
> I added an entry in grub.conf
> When I choose to load that kernel everything is OK.
> It works wth no problem.
> But under /boot I see nothing of the original files (there is only one file
> there , kernel.h).

you need to use an initrd if you want mount-by-label to work for your
root filesystem.
on a RHL or Fedora system (and I suspect other distros too but I don't
know for sure) just doing a "make install" in the kernel source will
make one for you and put the kernel you just build into the grub config
etc etc etc.