panic when adding root=/LABEL=/ in grub.conf - newbie

From: sting sting
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 08:41:50 EST

Hello,

I am working with kenel 2.4.20 on Intel x86.
Now I Had downloaded a kernel source to a different folder and build it.
I added an entry in grub.conf
When I choose to load that kernel everything is OK.
It works wth no problem.
But under /boot I see nothing of the original files (there is only one file there , kernel.h).

The output of mount is :

/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

when I add the following in grub.conf (to the option of choosing to load this kernel)

root=/LABEL=/

I get the the following panic message:
VFS: cannot open root device = "LABEL=/" or 00:00
Please append a correct "root= " boot option.
Kernel panic : VFS: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Any idea?
Any help will be appreciated.

Sting