Problem with framebuffer resolution setting

From: Florian Lindner
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 08:59:24 EST

Hello,
sorry for bothering you with this (probably) rather simple question. but I've
already asked two newsgroups, none had the answer.
I just try to compile kernel 2.6.1. Everything works perfect, except the
framebuffer support (I want to higher resolution for the console).
I've support for frame buffer devices (FB) and nVidia Riva support
(FB_RIVA) as well as Video mode selection support (VIDEO_SELECT) and
Framebuffer Console support (FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE) enabled. All of them are
compiled into the kernel, not as a module. I've a Riva TNT2
I tried some modes from $KERNEL-SOURCES/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt like
vga=0x317, vga=0x318 to append to to the kernel command line.
I've tried it with setting vga=0x317 in lilo.conf and also with vga=ask and
entering 317 directly.
The monitor switches to another resolution upon boot for a very short time
and displays a message, but to short to read. Than it switches back to the
default resolution.
Trying fbset on the console to set the resolution results in a blank screen.
What is wrong? fb support with 2.4 and vga=773 worked perfect.
Thx,
Florian

This is the output of fbset -i

mode "640x480-60"
# D: 25.176 MHz, H: 31.469 kHz, V: 59.942 Hz
geometry 640 480 640 480 8
timings 39721 40 24 32 11 96 2
accel true
rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0