Re: KGDB 2.0.3 with fixes and development in ethernet interface

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 08:48:21 EST

On Sunday 18 Jan 2004 1:24 am, George Anzinger wrote:
> Amit S. Kale wrote:

> >>Amit, could you explain why this is an option? It seems very useful and
> >>not really too much code...
> >
> > It saves all registers before switch_to. It does that two times at
> > present. Once (implicit) register save by gcc and an explicit register
> > save in arch/<proc>/kernel/entry.S Second register save in kern_schedule
> > generates a pt_regs structure which gdb can get all registers at once
> > from. If it's omited, gdb has to figure out where gcc has saved registers
> > from the non-standards code in switch_to, which it can't do correctly all
> > the time.
> >
> > We can have a check for (a new variable) debugger_enabled before calling
> > kern_schedule. That'll be add negligible overhead and will allow extra
> > thread info to be saved only when a debugger is enabled. There will not
> > be any need for CONFIG_KGDB_THREAD also.
>
> I don't seem to have such a problem with the mm kgdb. No kern_schedule
> there...

Have you confirmed that you see correct values for all the registers? I had
found some problems with gdb not being able to locate all the registers
correctly. Explanation on the problem below:

Besides getting gdb's fault there is one more benefit of kern_schedule. All
threads are shown by gdb as sleeping _at_ the place where schedule call is
present: So instead of gdb showing all threads sleeping in __switch_to, it
shows several functions. That's better than having to look at back trace of
each thread to figure out what it is.

This functionality is complemented by printing of thread names in 2.0.X kgdb
info threads listing.

Now back to gdb problem of not being able to locate registers.
schedule results in code of this form:

schedule:
framesetup
registers save
save registers
change esp
call switchto
restore registers

GDB can't analyze code other than frame setup and registers save. It may not
show values of variables that are present in registers correctly. This used
to be a problem some time ago (gdb 5.X). Perhaps gdb 6.x does a better job.
hmm...
May be its time I should look at gdb's x86 register info code again.
--
Amit Kale
EmSysSoft (http://www.emsyssoft.com)