RE: ACPI broken on all 9 of my machines :(

From: Brown, Len
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 11:53:46 EST

Thanks Andrew for your offer to help.

The best known method we have for improving ACPI in Linux is to address
first the issues that break many systems. Your plans to take a survey
of failures on systems close to you is a good idea -- perhaps it will
point out some common failures and help prioritize our work. Specific
failures are best filed in bugzilla, category="Power Management",
component=ACPI; and discussed on acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
While LKML is a good place to attempt to raise awareness, it isn't the
best tool for actual debugging.

Regarding the big picture. Linux needs to reach the state where OEMs
submit their systems to Linux Distro's compliance test suites _before_
they're shipped. The distros and their compliance test suites need to
include ACPI functionality. This will address the non-trivial issue of
systems being engineered to match Windows ACPI implementation. Of
course to get to that point we first need to improve the quality of ACPI
in Linux so that the Distros have a hope of successfully deploying it.
Thank you for your help in this effort.

-Len Brown