Re: devfs vs. udev

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 08:41:53 EST

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:39:27 +0000, MÃns RullgÃrd wrote:
> I noticed this in the help text for devfs in 2.6.0-test6:
>
> Note that devfs has been obsoleted by udev,

devfs works fine, lists all devices, and obsoletes makedev.

udev needs patching for several issues, current sysfs only exports
many but by far not all devices, and because of that makedev
is still needed to create an initial /dev.

in short: devfs works fine. udev has quite a way to go.
so marking devfs obsolete was done too soon by far. but
greg wronte me he will spend some time on udev this week
if possible, so lets wait and see.

oops, that reminds me I should have send him a patch to
fix one issue. better late then never...

maybe someone wants to remove the text about devfs being obsolete
till udev is actually ready for use?

Regards, Andreas