Re: devfs vs. udev

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 09:08:27 EST

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> I noticed this in the help text for devfs in 2.6.0-test6:
>>
>> Note that devfs has been obsoleted by udev,
>
> devfs works fine, lists all devices, and obsoletes makedev.

That's my experience.

> udev needs patching for several issues, current sysfs only exports
> many but by far not all devices, and because of that makedev
> is still needed to create an initial /dev.
>
> in short: devfs works fine. udev has quite a way to go.
> so marking devfs obsolete was done too soon by far. but

Exactly my point.

I'd also like an explanation of the rationale behind the switch.
devfs works and is stable. Why replace it with an incomplete fragile
userspace solution? I recall reading something about the original
author not updating devfs recently, but I can't see why that requires
rewriting it from scratch.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxxxxxxxx