Re: getting a working CD-drive in 2.6

From: Wes Janzen
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 02:42:07 EST

Stuart Longland wrote:

Quoting Wes Janzen <superchkn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one....

Ahh okay, I wasn't aware of that. We use a SCSI burner anyways, but most of my...

And here's an even better reason to avoid ide-scsi in 2.6 (Jens sent this to the list, but I don't see it...):

Jens Axboe wrote:

That's because it _is_ faster. It contains no silly memory allocations
for the buffer and data copying in the kernel, the data is mapped from
the user buffer and DMA'ed directly from there. It also uses DMA where
ide-scsi wont.

People generally report that they have no problems burning at full speed
(52) on even really old machines where ide-scsi maxed out long before.

Certainly that is true. The system was nearly unresponsive at 16X (on 2.4.18 SuSE) with my K6-2 400, but I can set it up to 32X now and I have no problems. My recorder never hits 32X with my media though, maxes out at around 20X but I can browse the web while burning with absolutely no fear of my buffer running dry (probably helps that it's a 8MB buffer but cdrecord still never reports it being low). That's a big change from 2.4.

-Wes Janzen-