how to find out address of gateway if ip packet's destination isoutside of the current network ?

From: Andreas Schaufler
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 13:31:19 EST

Dear all,

I just posted this to linux-net, but this list seems to be down. This I post it again in here hoping that it is not to much off topic.

I am currently porting a backplane networking system to Linux which shall be able to do IP over PCI,CPCI, VME etc.

Therefore i am currently developing a Linux network driver which is using some lower level comminications API in order to transport IP packets between several CPU boards (PPC), which are connected through the busses mentioned above.
The system is using an internal replacemant for ARP. It is looking for the destination address in the IP header and looking up the destination CPU in some internal table where every CPU is accociated with an IP address. Afterwards the IP packet is sent to this CPU and there it is put into the IP Stack.

My problem is: If the destination address is outside of the backplane networking system (some CPU boards can have ethernet plugs) I need to find out the gateway, which will send the packet to the outside network. I guessed I could get this information out of void *daddr in the hard_header function of the net device, but I was not successfull. Is there a way to solve my problem ?

thank you very much for your answers in advance
best regards
-Andreas