Re: Audio skipping with alsa

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 13:27:55 EST

At 10 Sep 2003 14:16:28 -0400,
Chris Meadors wrote:

> I'll agree that larger buffers are not the answer. I sometimes mess
> with live audio effects. That is recording some audio, processing it in
> some way, and then playing it back. If the buffer is too large, a
> noticeable delay would be introduced. Takashi and Jaroslav I'm pretty
> sure know the problem this causes with musicians, who need to hear what
> they played or sang in a very short period of time, or it messes with
> the brain.

to handle the data in a short period can be never guaranteed if the
process runs without the real-time priority.
the simple and only solution is to run such an application with
RT scheduling, IMO.

(the playback of xmms is a slightly different problem because it's
not designed (purposed) as a real-time process.)

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> SuSE Linux AG - www.suse.de
ALSA Developer ALSA Project - www.alsa-project.org