Re: 2.5.67-mm3: Bad: scheduling while atomic with IEEE1394 then hard freeze ( lockup on CPU0)

From: Philippe Gramoullé (philippe.gramoulle@mmania.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 17:30:31 EST

Hello,

On 16 Apr 2003 10:32:54 -0700
Steve Kinneberg <kinnebergsteve@acmsystems.com> wrote:

  | On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 09:45, Philippe Gramoullé wrote:
  | >
  | > # dmesg
  | > oot is not IRM capable, resetting...
  | > ieee1394: Remote root is not IRM capable, resetting...
  | > ieee1394: Remote root is not IRM capable, resetting...
  | > ieee1394: Remote root is not IRM capable, resetting...
  | > [message repeated 178 times and as long as the DV Camcorder in turned on]
  |
  | I realize this isn't the problem you're really concerned about, but the
  | above may happen if you are using a version of the 1394 code off the
  | linux-2.4 branch prior to the patch I sent to the list Monday that Ben
  | recently applied. (You should be able to get around this without
  | downloading the latest code and recompiling by setting attempt_root=1
  | when insmodding ohci1394.

Thanks for the tip. Anyway, for me 2.4 is no problem. Looking through the archives i saw that checking not the latest
code worked for me(tm) but this was some time ago and things may have changed ( i.e latest 2.4
code works as expected)

For 2.5, the thing is i remember being able to successfully use my DV Camcorder
Canon Optura 200MC ( MVX2i in Europe) with IEEE1394 , around 2.5.59 IIRC.

Since then, i only got these "reset storms" versions over versions. Not that i complain about
but it's just that i hope that reporting bugs will be helpful to IEEE1394 developers, because
if it worked once, then i don't see why i wouldn't work either with newer versions 8)

The goal for me is to switch asap to 2.5 as i see much improvements in my day to day
desktop use.

Thanks,

Philippe