RE: [2.4.21-pre7-ac1] IDE Warning when booting

From: Pau Aliagas (linuxnow@newtral.org)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 11:39:54 EST

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Mudama, Eric wrote:

> Was thinking...
>
> Do you know what attempted multi count was as an argument to SET MULTIPLE
> MODE?

This are the parametres rc.sysinit sets just before switching to the
selected run level:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/harddisks | grep -v "^#"
USE_DMA=0 MULTIPLE_IO=16
EIDE_32BIT=3
LOOKAHEAD=1
EXTRA_PARAMS="-u1"

I twicked them to improve performance, but the behaviour was the same
(poor performance and ide=nodma to be able to boot) before these
modifications. So, maybe they are wrong, but no the cause of the problem.

> The specification says powers of 2 from 2 to 128 are all valid, however,
> most drives I have looked at only support <= 16. This has some sort of
> historical oem reason for being the max and I haven't worked here long
> enough to know the 'why'.

Sorry, I do not know either.

> However, the ID block also reports the maximum multiple count in word 47
> bits 7..0, so if that was non zero, the drive shouldn't abort it.
>
> The engineer sitting next to me (former quantum employee) is reasonably
> certain that the drive shouldn't be aborting that command.
>
> It'd be interesting to look at the ID block and the task file for that
> command that the drive aborted.

How can I get this information?

Pau