Re: Support for serial console on legacy free machines

From: Khalid Aziz (khalid@fc.hp.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 16:38:34 EST

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Khalid Aziz writes:
> > I am working on adding support for serial console on legacy free
> > machines. Legacy free machines are not expected to have the legacy COM
> > ports.
>
> Has anyone considered allowing console devices to run over bi-directional
> parallel ports? I imagine most of the required code is in PLIP and serial,
> which unfortunately I know nothing about.
>
> Several newer systems I have today do not have physical serial ports at all,
> but all of them (even laptops) still have bi-directional parallel ports.
>
> I suppose there may be some difficulties in exporting a "serial-like"
> interface to the user apps (e.g. minicom and such), but maybe not.

SH supports console on line printer which I assume is a parallel port
console. You can check if that code will work for you and if it can be
ported to x86.

--
Khalid

==================================================================== Khalid Aziz Linux Systems Operation R&D (970)898-9214 Hewlett-Packard khalid@fc.hp.com Fort Collins, CO - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/