Re: Support for serial console on legacy free machines

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolinux.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 16:26:25 EST

Khalid Aziz writes:
> I am working on adding support for serial console on legacy free
> machines. Legacy free machines are not expected to have the legacy COM
> ports.

Has anyone considered allowing console devices to run over bi-directional
parallel ports? I imagine most of the required code is in PLIP and serial,
which unfortunately I know nothing about.

Several newer systems I have today do not have physical serial ports at all,
but all of them (even laptops) still have bi-directional parallel ports.

I suppose there may be some difficulties in exporting a "serial-like"
interface to the user apps (e.g. minicom and such), but maybe not.

Cheers, Andreas