Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@caldera.de)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 16:29:56 EST

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:05:11AM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:
> There is nothing like a distro maintainer

        [NOTE: I do not maintain the Caldera kernel RPM, but I was
                involved in the decision to turn reiserfs debugging on]

> overriding the design decisions made
> by the lead architect of a package, not believing that said architect knows what
> the fuck he is doing.

Reiserfs lately had a lot of stability issues, reports of data corruption
and as you said before you don't considere the reiserfs version in 2.4.2-ac
stable yourself.

The averange user will not blame you if he loses data through a problem
in reiserfs but the distribtuion, even if this filesystem is clearly
marked unsupported.

> We will make this unusable by you from this point onwards.

I do not see the debug kernel removed from the official kernel tree
before reiserfs has proven known stable.

Of course there is still the option of CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=n if you
intentionally want to make your filesystem less acceptable..

        Christoph