Re: VIA KT133A / athlon / MMX

From: Gav (gavbaker@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 08:59:33 EST

On Monday 30 July 2001 07:15, Steffen Persvold wrote:

> > While DRAM Prefetch is supposed to be an option to increase performance,
> > my sound is totally unusable without this set. I've heard numerous people
> > explain the same problem and it would be interesting to find out if this
> > cures their sound troubles too. If this is the case, is this something
> > that belongs in quirks, or is it too hardware specific? and would
> > enabling this by default hurt anything anyway? Or is this just masking
> > the underlaying problem ?
>
> Hmm, I think "DRAM Prefetch" is the one you _don't_ want to turn on,
> because (and correct me if i'm wrong) it's causing all the problems with
> the IDE controller (data trashing).

Obviously I can only comment on my own hardware but the machine has been used
constantly since Thu Jul 12, its now Jul 30 and I havent had a single IDE
related problem.

As a hobby, i use the machine for DigitalVideo, and regularly grab 20-30GB
from my capture card, then process it, which means the IDE bus gets a lot of
use and seems to be an ideal situation for the data trashing problems to rear
their ugly heads (no pun intended) but, as i said, I haven't seen any here.

DRAM Prefetch makes my sound usuable, as the VIA fixups for the SB cards do
not work here, and for (at least) two other people who i have had email
correspondancy with.

-- Regards, Gavin Baker