Re: VIA KT133A / athlon / MMX

From: PEIFFER Pierre (ppeiffer@free.fr)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 12:29:04 EST

Chris Wedgwood a écrit :

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 09:19:21PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> Its heavily tied to certain motherboards. Some people found a
> better PSU fixed it, others that altering memory settings
> helped. And in many cases, taking it back and buying a different
> vendors board worked.
>
> My guess is its some kind of timing or near-miss on a signal edge, and
> the bios changes relax things so you don't miss whatever it was you
> missed before.

Ok, after reading that, I've tried to see if my BIOS setting changes
were implicated or not. And I've found a winner:
Disabling option "Enhance Chip Performance" makes kernel K7-mmx routines
work fine. Enabling it causes the kernel crash at boot time... (And I
haved it enable)

FYI, according to the user's manual, enabling this option "set the north
bridge chipset timing parameters more aggressively providing higher
system performance" (Default value is 'disable'). I can't say more about
what it does exactly.

I don't know if this will help you to locate the problem, but at least,
Abit's users will be warned...

Thanks for your help !

        Pierre