Re: VIA KT133A / athlon / MMX

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 06:11:59 EST

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 05:23:07PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> I have a 1u box at my des that has two MSI boards in it with 1.2G athlons.
> at the moment they are both running 2.4.5 (athlon optimized), one box has
> no problems at all while the other dies (no video, no keyboard, etc)
> within an hour of being booted.

Somebody told he had the same MoBo already replaced a couple of times ...

> if you have any patch you would like me to test on these boxes let me know

Well, no kernel patches.
But some program which does the K7 optmizied copies and zeroing in userspace.
(Attached)

Strange enough it succeeds on the machine that fails to boot a K7 optimized
kernel.
So I'm puzzled now.
Seems we can trigger problems in kernelspace that we can't have in userspace?
Some problem with non-serialization if an interrupt occurs or something
esoteric like this?

> (I am arranging to ship this one and three others like it that each have
> one working and one failing system in them back to the factory to get the
> MLB swapped out on the one that is failing.

Good luck!

--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>                          Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers         Linux kernel development