Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 08:39:37 EST

> > Putting a sync just before the insmod when developing new drivers is a good
> > idea btw
>
> I've been doing that most of the time. But I sometimes forget that.
> But as I said, it's not something I expected from a journalled filesystem.

You misunderstand journalling then

A journalling file system can offer different levels of guarantee. With
metadata only journalling you don't take any real performance hit but your
file system is always consistent on reboot (consistent as in fsck would pass
it) but it makes no guarantee that data blocks got written.

Full data journalling will give you what you expect but at a performance hit
for many applications.

Alan