Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: bvermeul@devel.blackstar.nl
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 08:47:42 EST

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Putting a sync just before the insmod when developing new drivers is a good
> > > idea btw
> >
> > I've been doing that most of the time. But I sometimes forget that.
> > But as I said, it's not something I expected from a journalled filesystem.
>
> You misunderstand journalling then

Yup, I guess I did.

> A journalling file system can offer different levels of guarantee. With
> metadata only journalling you don't take any real performance hit but your
> file system is always consistent on reboot (consistent as in fsck would pass
> it) but it makes no guarantee that data blocks got written.

I allways thought that it could/would roll back the changes that weren't
consistent. But I stand corrected. Thanks... :)

> Full data journalling will give you what you expect but at a performance hit
> for many applications.

Do any of the other journalled filesystems for linux do this? If not, I
guess I'll go back to ext2.

Bas Vermeulen

--
"God, root, what is difference?"
	-- Pitr, User Friendly

"God is more forgiving." -- Dave Aronson