Re: CML2 1.0.0 doesn't remember configuration changes

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 21:11:02 EST

Ingo Oeser <ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:06:46PM -0400, esr@thyrsus.com wrote:
> > Editconfig was a mistake. OK, I think I understand the rules now. Is it:
> >
> > (1) First, try to read from .config
> > (2) If .config doesn't exist, read from $(ARCH)/defconfig
>
> Right. But with the following constraints:
>
> make oldconfig takes _any_ .config from _any_ kernel and builds a
> new one for _this_ kernel asking any remaining questions
>
> make xconfig, make menuconfig, make config take a .config from
> _this_ kernel and configure for _this_ kernel
>
> if they don't find and .config, then they fall back to
> $(ARCH)/defconfig
>
> Would be nice, if CML2 works like this too, because it's not nice
> to go through all the options again, if I install a new kernel or
> just want to change my current kernel config add a module.

OK, 1.1.0 will do these things. I'm still not certain I have `make
oldconfig' right, but I trust someone will club me gently over the
head if it's still not up to spec.

"Are we to understand," asked the judge, "that you hold your own interests above the interests of the public?"

"I hold that such a question can never arise except in a society of cannibals." -- Ayn Rand - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/