Re: Asynchronous IO

From: Christopher Smith (x@xman.org)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 21:00:20 EST

--On Friday, April 13, 2001 04:45:07 -0400 Dan Maas <dmaas@dcine.com> wrote:
> IIRC the problem with implementing asynchronous *disk* I/O in Linux today
> is that the filesystem code assumes synchronous I/O operations that block
> the whole process/thread. So implementing "real" asynch I/O (without the
> overhead of creating a process context for each operation) would require
> re-writing the filesystems as non-blocking state machines. Last I heard
> this was a long-term goal, but nobody's done the work yet (aside from
> maybe the SGI folks with XFS?). Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking
> about...

If the FS supports generic read then this is not a problem. This is what
SGI's KAIO does as well as Bart's work.

> Bart, glad to hear you are working on an event interface, sounds cool! One
> feature that I really, really, *really* want to see implemented is the
> ability to block on a set of any "waitable kernel objects" with one
> syscall - not just file descriptors, but also SysV semaphores and message
> queues, UNIX signals and child proceses, file locks, pthreads condition
> variables, asynch disk I/O completions, etc. I am dying for a clean way to
> accomplish this that doesn't require more than one thread... (Win32 and
> FreeBSD kick our butts here with MsgWaitForMultipleObjects() and
> kevent()...) IMHO cleaning up this API deficiency is just as important as
> optimizing the extreme case of socket I/O with zillions of file
> descriptors...

Actually, sigwaitinfo() has zero problem waiting on muliple signals. If you
are using real-time signals each signal can pass a pointer to the relevant
object, so even if you're only blocking on a single signal you can receive
info about several objects.

<insert thread about how signals suck here>

--Chris