Re: 2.4.1-test10

From: Ben Ford (bford@talontech.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 05:42:51 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> David Ford wrote:
> >
> > Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > > The ChangeLog may not be 100% complete. The physically big things are the
> > > PPC and ACPI updates, even if most people won't notice.
> > >
> > > Linus
> > >
> > > ----
> > >
> > > pre10:
> > > - got a few too-new R128 #defines in the Radeon merge. Fix.
> > > - tulip driver update from Jeff Garzik
> > > - more cpq and DAC elevator fixes from Jens. Looks good.
> > > - Petr Vandrovec: nicer ncpfs behaviour
> > > - Andy Grover: APCI update
> > > - Cort Dougan: PPC update
> > > - David Miller: sparc updates
> > > - David Miller: networking updates
> > > - Neil Brown: RAID5 fixes
> >
> > Do the tulip driver updates address the increasingly common NETDEV timeout
> > repots?
>
> In general you can answer this yourself by reading
> drivers/net/tulip/ChangeLog.
>
> I don't see increasingly common timeout reports.. with which hardware?
> They are likely on the newer LinkSys 4.1 cards, and there are still
> problesm with PNIC. Outside of that, other cards should be ok.

I have this problem also.

I have several machines that are almost unuseable due to the network device. I
need to do an ifconfig down/up to get connectivity back again. That doesn't
work so handy for a headless router . . . .

My desktop machine (2.3.9x - present) has dropped the network 4 or 5 times a day
for months.

-b