Network response time issue

From: Paul Hancock (phancock@lib.ci.phoenix.az.us)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 23:23:10 EST

I am investigating a web site response time issue that one of our patrons
is having. After ruling out the obvious, I ran a tcpdump, and compared the
packet trace to other web sessions that had reasonable response time, and
found that the session that was having problems had a mss of 536, while
most of the tcp sessions used a mss of 1460.

When I upgraded the kernel from 2.4.0-test12 to 2.4.0, response seemed to
improve slightly. Nonetheless, I'm still seeing the same basic behavior:
a burst of traffic, followed by a period of silence. I'm not an expert at
analyzing packet traces, but it looks like the server is having to do a
lot of re-transmits. The user states that other sites come up fine,
including another web server that shares the WAN link with us.

Am I possibly looking at a kernel networking issue? What other things
should I be looking at/for?

Thanks.

                -- Paul (phancock@lib.ci.phoenix.az.us)