Re: PATCH: rd - deadlock removal

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 13:02:35 EST

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > The second is more elegant in that it side steps the problem by
> > giving rd.c a make_request function instead of using the default
> > _make_request. This means that io_request_lock is simply never
> > claimed my rd.
>
> And this solution is much better, even given the freeze I think that
> is the way to go.

I agree, I already applied it. The second approach just makes the problem
go away, and also avoids needlessly merging the request etc. I suspect
that the lack of request-merging could also eventually be used to simplify
the driver a bit, as it now wouldn't need to worry about that issue any
more at all.

                Linus