Re: power management and XFree86 4.01 (this has existed in X 4.0 with devel kernels for some time)

From: Trever Adams (trever_Adams@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 23:48:50 EST

Erik Mouw wrote:

> Trever Adams wrote:
> > I am running the glint driver and currently using 2.4.0-test7. If I leave the
> > machine idle long enough for the ACPI to kick in and start shutting things down
> > (monitor included), the machine hangs... at least to keyboard response
> > (including SAK). I do not know about network life. I haven't tried, but I am
> > assuming it is since SAK fails.
>
> I've seen this kind of lockups with an IBM ThinkPad 600X. The problem
> was that it has a broken BIOS e820 memory detection, so Linux took
> the complete 192MB available. Unfortunately, the ACPI tables lived in
> the last megabyte of memory, so as soon as the system got an ACPI
> event, it locked. We solved it by using "mem=191M" on the command line
> (instead of using all 192 MB).
>
> Erik

Erik-

        Thank you so much for your idea. Apparently, it is ACPI related, though I am
afraid I must disagree with you on the nature, at least in my case. I disabled
the upper megabyte per your suggestion. Now no ACPI functionality works. My
ACPI table also includes a ACPI data and ACPI NVS region ( IOS-e820:
0000000000008000 @ 0000000007ff0000 (ACPI data)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000008000 @ 0000000007ff8000 (ACPI NVS)).

        My screen now does not power down, and the lockup is gone.

If anyone has any idea of what might be going on, please let me know (Erik may
be correct and I just have a little more screwiness).

Trever

--
The finest family and value oriented products are at http://www.daysofyore.com/
Tired of high costs and games with domain names? http://domains.daysofyore.com/