Re: Possible Solution for ATA Mess...

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 23:18:20 EST

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> There is a major problem with this: there is a number of devices which
> *require* vendor-specific commands to be issued, especially devices
> which have not been completely standardized yet (pre-SCSI-3 CD-writers
> is a somewhat obsolete example.)

These are OPS codes not COMMAND codes.
OPS codes are passed in known public SPEC - COMMAND codes.

This is the reserved space of DIAGNOSTICS in ATA-ATAPI devices.

> You're attacking this problem from the wrong end. If you have the
> opportunity to change the devices, what you should do is specify,
> plain and simple:
>
> * NO DEVICE SHALL PROCESS A COMMAND THAT MAY RESULT IN THE DEVICE
> BECOMING PERMANENTLY INOPERATIONAL.

Good then let them lock the areas that need to be lock.

Does every one think that I am so stupid to allow BS to happen that will
harm Linux (specifically create hardware problems for Linux)?

> In other words, the firmware on the device should report an error,
> reboot, power off, or go into safe mode until power cycle. It puts
> the onus where it belongs -- in the firmware of the device, which is
> ultimately the only thing that can guard against these kinds of
> failures.
>
> In particular, firmware upgrades should be cryptographically
> authenticated. These days, the overhead of doing a cryptographic
> signature is trivial even for a small embedded processor. There isn't
> an excuse anymore.

The bitch and scream over a $0.01 per drive addition.

$0.01 * 1.5e7 * number of models per year == MILLIONS per company.

This is what pisses me off the most, people dictating to me about what
they general have proven to know little or nothing about.

Sorry Peter, but I a really raw with this subject.

Please I am going to go get some sleep for two days, please go ask anyone
else here for help because they know all that I know.

Good night.....

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy