Re: Possible Solution for ATA Mess...

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 06:41:27 EST

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Does every one think that I am so stupid to allow BS to happen that will
> harm Linux (specifically create hardware problems for Linux)?

You're right in defending Linux. But blaming Linux for dying hard disks
is wrong, and passing the obligation to protect the hardware down to
third-party software is wrong as well.

> The bitch and scream over a $0.01 per drive addition.
>
> $0.01 * 1.5e7 * number of models per year == MILLIONS per company.

You're working with the industry, you're having their point of view.
Please see the other side also. See the consumer side as well. Drive
dying == hours of work, possibly losses as well, work with sending the
drive in, possibly paying if vendor refuses warranty.

Even if only 0.1% of drives die because of this omitted jumper or crypto
stuff or whatever, would not that eat up all the enlarged profits by
$0.01 saved per drive?

(Besides that, I'm not sure that this attitude "they send wrong commands
to their drives, they void their warranty" will hold in the EU as soon
as the new warranty laws come into effect, since sending commands to
drives is how they work. Vendors will have to provide two years of
warranty, and in the first six months, they will have to prove that it's
the user's fault if they want to refuse warranty repair or replacement.
Plus, from CURRENT German law, if a drive suddenly dies, the vendor is
obliged to reimburse the vendee as if the damage had never occurred,
including postage, packing, etc.)

Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

--
Matthias Andree