Re: Proposal: non-PC ISA bus support

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 11:54:24 EST

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 11:37:53AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> The typical case is Apple new Uni-N chipset, which provides 3 root PCI
> busses (they all have bus number 0 but are really different busses, with
> separate IO space, config space, etc...).

Nice.

> We don't have legacy ISA devices, except for VGA cards,

Also nice. A lot of my machines still have 1 or 2 ISA slots.

> If we want legacy VGA drivers to work, we currently have to decide once
> for all on which bus will we'll map the ISA space. Fortunately, except
> for VGA, those machines will probably never have any legacy ISA device.

This should be no big deal at all. You'll have X, what more could
you need? I just heard today from one of the Compaq folks:

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 08:27:15AM -0400, Jeff Wiedemeier wrote:
] Right now, I'm actually running X quad-headed with a Matrox Millenium on
] hose 0 (primary PCI), Permedia 2 cards on hoses 1 and 3 (66MHz PCI), and
] a TNT2 on hose 2 (AGP).

> That mean that we can only show one of the PCI busses as containing
> legacy ISA-like devices.

So hard-wire it to hose 0, or make it a kernel config option.
That takes care of booting, and someone's strange desire to use
svgalib. More than that can be handled by X without access to
ISA at all.

> ... and fixup the VGA driver to use PCI lookup, and a specific mecanism
> to obtain it's IO base and mem base from the PCI bus/dev_fn +
> offset_to_region.

A useful thing to do in any case.

r~